Being involved in a motor vehicle accident can be a very traumatic experience. Whether it’s a car, truck, boat or motorcycle; vehicle accidents can be life changing. From ongoing medical expenses to rehab, counselling and loss of income, the financial costs of an accident can be significant.

In addition to your financial costs incurred directly from the accident, you can claim compensation for the impact on your quality of life and wellbeing. This includes the psychological impact of any physical injuries and changes to your lifestyle and ability to work.

The last thing you need while in recovery is additional financial stress, so we’ve put together a brief overview of the costs you can claim, and the evidence you’ll likely need to support the claim.

What costs can I claim?

  • Costs for any travel to and from medical appointments
  • Lost income due to the inability to complete or participate in the work you did before your accident
  • Any services you require at home to support you while in recovery e.g. cleaning help, cooking, child care etc.
  • Any dental services to repair dental damage or injury as a result of the accident
  • Hospital and ambulance costs from emergency services during the accident
  • Medical tests including ultrasounds, x-rays and prescribed medication following the accident
  • Medical equipment prescribed by doctors or nursing services to aid in recovery
  • Replacement or repair of equipment or aids damaged in the accident including dentures, hearing aids and glasses
  • Costs relating to suffering and pain as a result of the accident, including the loss of amenities of life
  • Costs of any therapy services including psychology, podiatry, osteopathy, physiotherapy, chiropractic etc.

What evidence do I need to support my claim?

Depending on what state or territory you’re in, your claim process will be slightly different, and depending on who your claim goes through your required evidence may vary slightly.

As a general rule, the following items are commonly required in order for an insurer to award you compensation for claimed costs as a result of the accident.

  • A medical report from directly after your accident that has a detailed description of injuries sustained and the cost of the immediate treatment and prescribed treatment including therapy referrals, recovery period off work, medication and equipment
  • Copy of the police report or crash report from your accident
  • Copies of your financial records showing a decline or cessation of income whether temporarily or permanently
  • Any reports from employers or physicians detailing your inability to conduct your work in the same capacity as before the accident
  • Receipts, records and financial records of your transportation costs to and from medical and therapy appointments
  • Any psychological or psychiatric assessments detailing injury as a direct result of the accident
  • Records of ongoing therapy and medical treatment recommendations or prescriptions

How do I lodge a motor injury claim?

Each state and territory has a different process for claiming motor injury compensation, usually depending on what the Compulsory Third Party insurance process is. In most states CTP is covered in your vehicle registration, so the claims process goes through a state government agency. However in some places such as NSW, CTP is purchased separately by a private insurance provider, so the claims process is a little more complex.

As a rule it’s essential you report the accident to the police, and begin your compensation claim as soon as possible. Most states have time limits on when you can lodge a claim so try to start the process as soon as you are physically able, or have someone close to you begin the process for you.

If you’ve been in an accident in WA or NSW you can find out how to lodge a motor injury compensation claim here. For help with claims in other states contact our team for a free case assessment and support.

Contact Us


    Level 5, 75 Elizabeth Street Sydney NSW 2000